- Scientific Databases
- Image Databases
- Geographic Information Systems
- User Interfaces for Geographic Information
- Heterogeneous Database Systems and Interoperability
- Workflow Management Systems
- Spatial Decision Support Systems
- Digital Libraries
Current work includes research and development of tools
- environmental planning applications in cooperation with the Geoscience
Institute of UNICAMP and
the National Aerospace Research Institute (INPE);
- agricultural planning applications (in cooperation with the GEO
(Study Group in Geoprocessing) of the Agricultural Engineering Faculty
of UNICAMP, and CEPAGRI, the Center for Meteorological and Climate Research applied to Agriculture of UNICAMP.
- urban planing;
- biodiversity mapping and collection data management (in cooperation with researchers of IB, the Institute of Biology, UNICAMP)
- management and operation of telephone networks (in cooperation with Brazilian
Telecommunications Research and Development Center (CPqD-Telebras)).
These GIS projects are being developed with the help of other professors of the Institute of Computing:
- Neucimar Jeronimo Leite and Alexandre Falcao (image processing),
- Maria Cecilia Calani Baranauskas (interfaces and educational software),
- Eliane Martins (software engineering);
- Ariadne Carvalho (natural language interface) and
- Edmundo Madeira (computer networks),
- as well as researchers from other UNICAMP centers
The group has a long term cooperation with the database researchers of the University of Paris IX ( LAMSADE), in the area of database versions.
Another research effort is geared towards developing an automated process-oriented environment to help design and document scientific experiments in the areas of geosciences and biosciences. This effort started as part of a joint project in scientific workflows with researchers of the Wirtschaftsinformatik Institut, University of Münster, Germany, and proceeded with with Marie-Jose Blin of the LAMSADE laboratory, and Jacques Wainer .
The group also was involved in participating in the design and development of a biodiversity information system for the state of Sao Paulo, within the BIOTA/FAPESP program.